Sunday, December 6, 2009

Remembering Margie

The day after Thanksgiving, I found out that my childhood friend died. We'd just spoken a few days before so the news was quite a shock. After years of what can only be described as extremely sporadic communication, two years ago Margie and I reconnected. The circumstances that brought us together were unfortunate. Margie had flown from Australia, where she was working as a child psychiatrist, to attend a reunion at Stanford University. A day into the festivities, Margie tripped on a curb and fell, breaking her hip and fracturing her shoulder. Because she had only recently recovered from a spinal fusion, these additional injuries rendered her helpless and she ended up staying at the home of her good friends Carol and Mark, who lived about an hour from me. Several weeks later it was clear that Margie wouldn't be able to return to Australia until her hip and shoulder healed, something that could take months. It was then that I volunteered to drive her to her parent's home in Arizona where she could convalesce and begin physical therapy. There is no better way to reconnect with someone than to spend hours in the car with them.

By the time we arrived in Arizona, Margie and I had talked about everything from the ballet lessons we took when we were three and four to her fears about never being able to return to work. Upon hearing the news about Margie's death, I was overwhelmed with sadness, but Carol's suggestion that we "remember the good times," has helped me pull through. There are others who will speak to Margie's professional accomplishments, her brilliant mind that never forgot a fact, her ground breaking work in hormone therapy, and her work with in treating veterans and children. My memories are from a different time and place, when life was simple and our problems few. When our summers consisted of playing jacks, swimming, and stealing sugar packets out of the snack shack, and having a huge crush on the lifeguard and fantasies about kissing him as soon as we turned thirteen. Back then, our biggest concern was learning how to use tampons so we could swim in the next meet. Our biggest problem was avoiding taunts from the swim club bully, a short chubby kid whose only weapon was his sharp tongue. We lived for ice cream sandwiches, five more minutes in the pool, and Fourth of July fireworks. We pricked our fingers with safety pins and became blood sisters. In a high school social club, Margie was my "little sister." And most recently, as adults, Margie was my confidant, advisor, and dear, dear friend who wouldn't want me to be sad about her passing, who would expect me to remember the good times as Carol suggested.

I don't know if or when there will be a memorial service for Margie, but because those of us who were touched by her life, live in so many different places, I would like to suggest that this post be used to launch a virtual memorial service where her friends and colleagues far and wide can share their memories, their good times.

P.S. The photo was taken about a year ago, shortly after Margie moved to Arizona.

5 comments:

nancy said...

In my Toledo childhood, no summer was complete without Margie. She was our leader in the pool and was always game for mischief. She had me in awe of her raw talent and drive to excel. She urged me to give my best and try my hardest through her example. We carpooled to the YWCA for Glass City. In the water she left me in her wake. Outside of the water she was a great friend. I had loss touch with her but in this social networking age I had tried to see if I could find her. I am so sad to have discovered that she is gone. Since I heard this horrible news I have found out about all she accomplished in her adult life. She is missed! Nancy

Carol said...

I met Margie my freshman year of college in 1971 when she returned as a junior from study abroad Clivedon, England. We remained friends and in sporadic contact until her passing. When I think about the past 38 years, I am amazed to realize how many lives Margie led. She was an athlete, a photographer with several "one-man" shows under her belt, a collegiate swimming coach, a podiatrist, a medical doctor and psychiatrist boarded in both the US and Australia, an expert in hormone therapy, a dyer of silk scarves, and a kid at heart!

Margie suffered many heartbreaks in her life but whenever we talked, we laughed about the past, the present and the future. I will miss hearing about her exploits and discoveries in the worlds of medicine, travel, feminism and dyes for silk. I will miss her laugh.

Deb said...

I talked to Margie on the phone last summer while I was visiting Jan. That was the first time since high school I'd been in touch w/ her. Jan had told me about the ordeal she was going through w/ her injury & convalescence. She sent Jan a collection of silk scarves she had hand-dyed. Beautiful. Margie told Jan to have me pick one as a gift from her to me. So I have a beautiful silk scarf designed by Margie to remember her by . . .
Deb

Unknown said...

Thank you Nancy, for forwarding this to me. I probably haven't seen Margie in 20+ years but, my entire childhood comes to light when I think of her and her wonderful family. Those were the BEST times.
My condolences to All the Shuer's. I am so sorry for you all. Cheryl Liber Silverman

Janet Zann said...

Margie and I met while in the second grade. She and I told the other girls that we were "almost twins" because our birthdays were just 1 day apart. We swam together competitively for many years, first on Toledo's YWCA's team. Every Wednesday our coach, Peg Seney would declare the beginning of swim practice RELAYS. We loved it. You got a partner for 2-person relays and swam the widths of the pool. Margie declared that she and I were "P.P.'s." (permanent partners) It was childhood joy and fun.
On many weekends we would compete in ping pong,
bumper pool and any other competitive thing we could think of until we were hungry. Then Margie
taught me to add Marshmallow to regular choc.chip
cookie dough before baking, soas to get softer and richer-tasting cookies. (We laughingly said that WE
should have started Mrs. Field's cookies!!) Later we
were roommates our freshman year at Indiana U.
Margie helped me adjust to being away from home,
as she had already been away at Pine Crest H.S. in
Fort Lauderdale for her junior and senior years.
With Margie's leadership we and others on the swim
team marched into the Athletic Director's office and
asked for equal rights for women's athletic teams
on campus. It was a beginning..Margie was a crusader. Also she was FUN! She would try successfully to find towns in Ohio that were hosting swim meets who were offering LARGE trophies with
short pools (20 yds) and little competition. She would ask her folks to take us and we would go and
compete for those trophies! 33 years later she found a Master's Swim meet in Michigan. She rounded up our former YWCA friends and we competed again on the same relay team! More fun!
Margie, we miss you. We love you.
To the Shuer family: you are a great family. May
you be comforted in your grief knowing all the fun
and joy you helped to create throughout our lives.